Saturday, October 16, 2010

Media Free

For five and a half days I was media free.
Completely free...I did have my cell phone and text amongst the folks I was with for directions so we could stick together in a crowd.  But I didn't check my email once, in 5 and a half days.  Any of my five email accounts.  I didn't blog or tweet or even watch television, or movies.  I took a few pictures with a digital camera.
Mostly I was media free.
I knew that I was coming back to a s*&t storm of emails and issues waiting for me.
But I took the liberty of (or responsibility of) being 5 and a half days without media.
There was no media frenzy.
Now it has ensued in full force since I've been back and am struggling to catch up, keep up, get anywhere close to what being caught up might feel like (does anyone really know what caught up is?)

So I blog.
I blog because I can.
I have my media.  I'm back in my life and the life that has access to such wonders.
Blogging.
I blog therefore I am.
I blog therefore I can.
I wish you all the opportunity to blog if you want to, and the right to decline if you don't.

It was kind of nice on the other side.
The side that isn't checking email every five minutes.
The side that isn't thumbing as I walk down the sidewalk.
I cursed out 4 people between 6th and 7th Aves who walked into me
due to their texting while walking- not paying attention.  I was pissed.
I shot them dirty looks.
For their sloppiness.
For their thoughtless run-in.
For not paying attention.
Don't I do the same thing.
So many times.
Texting. Texting.
Looking down and up and mostly down.
glance up glance up.
Not enough.
Oh, how I do.
Because I can.
I can text.
I can text if I want to.
I don't have to text.
But I can.
I can.

1 comment:

  1. Functional blog, Rachel, full of links and announcements....and your stream of life poetry. Experiencing a few media free days is certainly freeing, liberating, refreshing. For me digital media is a bit like the chlorine in pools, I recognize when my body can't take more of it, when I've gone over the limit in tolerance. Your poem reflects that tacit kind of knowing. Good to keep it in mind always and acknowledge our needs for unmediated interactions....ahhh, un media ated.

    ReplyDelete